Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lentil Soup

This is the BEST. (from Amy Kroff)
INGREDIENTS:
1 C dry lentils
1 C shopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T cooking oil
4 C beef broth
1 7.5 ouce can tomatoes, cut up
1 T worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. dried thyme or oregano
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. cumin
1 bay leaf
1/2 C chopped carrots
1/2 C chopped celery
1/2 lb. fully cooked smoked sausage links, sliced - or chopped ham

DIRECTIONS:Rinse lentils, set aside. In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Stir in lentils, beef broth, undrained tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, thyme/oregano, pepper, cumin, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add carrot and celery. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer for 15-20 mins or until lentils and veggies are tender. Stir in meat - heat through. Discard bay leaf.

I got this one from thisweekfordinner.com also. This is the third lentil soup recipe I have tried recently and it is our favorite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How weird! I was just looking at my jar of dried lentils earlier thinking..."I should make lentil soup this week." This recipe looks great! I'll try this recipe out. Thanks!

♥ Rachael said...

This sounds yum! I'll have to try this in one of my weekly mennu plans. :) Thanks!